Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1995 D1 Build/Restore:

1995 D1 Build/Restore: 1 month 2 weeks ago #3491

• best4x4
  • Thank you received: 2
I purchased a 95 D1 right after SCARR. The plan for this 95 D1 was to set it up as my #1 off road Land Rover to take to events.

However it has been an extremely bumpy road so far. I do not have a title for this D1 yet so I've put fixing it up on hold until I know I can register it because if I can't drive it to events that defeats the whole purpose. My 97 XD has been my main off road LR but sadly the rust on the body has caught up. After SCARR both B pillars have detached from the rotten rocker panels, and the doors are hard to open/close due to the body shifting.

The plan is to fix up the 95 D1 and get it mechanically sound, and then transfer over my lift from the XD to the 95. The original plan was to have it ready for the 2022 HCRR event, but I'm not sure that will happen due to limited time to work on it.

To Do List:

Fix entire ABS/Brake Line setup (previous owner ripped it entirely out and ruined all the brake lines)
Fix Throttle Body Assembly (part of the linkage is broken so it goes from no throttle to wide open)
Replace Heater Core (current unit is clogged & leaking)
Look into HVAC system as I've been told it's INOP
Give the 3.9L a serious tune up
Misc interior stuff to fix (Front seats are reversed Passenger/Driver for some silly reason)
Fix Window Bezel Assembly in console (switches are just hanging loose)
LR window regulator is toast
Have some spare 265/75R16 Kumho M/T's installed
Possibly install D1 ARB with 12k winch, and 48inch Hi Lift
Fix frozen CDL linkage
Have the Y Pipe repaired with straight pipe vs Cats

The Good:

Body is pretty darn straight for a 95
3.9L runs pretty darn good
Cooling system/HG appear good
OME 2inch lift
OME Shocks (unknown condition)
4Spd Auto shifts good
Has 5 RRC 5 Spoke Great Divide style rims
Interior is decent for age (sure I can clean it up)
Avalon Blue paint is faded on the roof/hood, but isn't terrible

She's a sad little D1 currently, but with some TLC and hopefully a title soon I can save another LR and put it back on the road. My XD sat on a ranch for nearly 7 years before I bought it and never went more than 10MPH out near College Station. It's last big adventure was Big Bend National Park and it was going 80MPH vs 10MPH lol.

I will update this build whenever I work on it.
99 D2 (Highly Modified)
02 D2 Kalahari (Highly Modified)
04 D2 Lifted
06 LR3 HSE
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joneschris019

1995 D1 Build/Restore: 1 week 5 days ago #3629

• best4x4
Small update on the 95 D1, I had been going to a friends house where the D1 was and working on it bit by bit. I had swapped the upper 3.9L plenum to fix the broken throttle body linkage, and I replaced the awful + lead to the starter and the smaller brown + lead to the fuse block under the hood. Then out of no where it started running awful, and on the day I was trying to load it up onto a trailer to get it home it refused to start.

I got it home last weekend, and didn't have much time left in the day to tinker with it at all. Over the past few days I have replaced the cheap Chinese distributor with a good OEM unit, replaced the OEM ignition amplifier, timed it, and while it did start and run extremely smooth for the first time since I've had it the D1 refused to restart once warmed up. The ECU had popped a #14 code for either the fuel temp sensor or coolant sensor. Today I swapped out the fuel temp sensor with a good spare, it cranked up, I tweaked the timing a bit, let it run, and once warmed up I did several restarts. No issues restarting, and the Code #14 did not come back.

Next up on the list will be getting the D1 brakes fixed. It was completely gutted by the previous owners and I plan on installing parts to bring it back to stock. Will keep the restore updated as I go.
99 D2 (Highly Modified)
04 D2 Lifted
06 LR3 HSE
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by best4x4.

1995 D1 Build/Restore: 6 days 10 hours ago #3643

• Joneschris019
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Getting there!
Houston/Woodlands Chapter VP

96 D1 SE7 5 speed
96 D1 SD

Instagram @emerald_roverworks

Trying to save every D1 from the crusher

1995 D1 Build/Restore: 6 days 7 hours ago #3644

• best4x4
Repaired the totally messed up front end on the 95 D1. Installed an 03-04 D2 Grill. Also replaced a completely seized up tensioner pulley. I also removed the completely rusted and seized front calipers which one of coarse was ran metal to metal.... I'm slowly working on getting the brakes back onto this thing. Replacement calipers, brake pads, and lower lines were installed up front. Next up with be RF hardline, F/R valve, lines, ABS modulator, and repairing the rusted out and patched with a rubber hose rear hardlines.

This is by far the worse pieced together LR I have ever seen. Every time I try to fix one thing I find 10 other things held together with zip ties or superglue. I will prevail eventually and one day it'll be back on the road.
Attachments:
99 D2 (Highly Modified)
04 D2 Lifted
06 LR3 HSE
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherP

1995 D1 Build/Restore: 16 hours 23 minutes ago #3652

• ChristopherP
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 68
Excellent write up thank you. Keep us posted.
Christopher Pullen
Ancient member since 2000
2004 Disco

When the signs say the trail is closed, THE TRAIL IS CLOSED.
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds
© 2022 Texas Rovers Club. All Rights Reserved. This site is the property of the Texas Rovers Club and is for club business and the enjoyment of Land Rover enthusiasts everywhere. All content, pictures, Forum postings (public and private messages), and email communications submitted or posted to the Site become/are the property of Texas Rovers. By submitting information, you grant Texas Rovers a nonexclusive, royalty-free, right to reproduce, use, modify, publish, adapt, translate, delete, and create derivative/promotional works from, for display or sale. Site graphics, logos, and Store items artwork, are the property of Texas Rovers and are protected by United States copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Please do not use pictures or information from the site, including trademarks, logos, or other proprietary information (including images, text, page layout, or form) without the express written consent of Texas Rovers. Texas Rovers is in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Land Rover of North America, Rover Group Limited or any of their subsidiaries or affiliates. Land Rover and Rover are the trademarks of Jaguar Land Rover, England.

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.